Meet Vikas, a TOP CERT seller on PPH specialising in branding and identity, web and UI design, web and mobile app development and online marketing.
Tell us a bit about yourself. How did you get into freelancing?
From early childhood I have loved meeting new people, interacting with them and trying new things. Working without boundaries is what attracted me towards freelancing.
My upbringing was in a rural area and I was not aware of the technology. During my school days, I used to work in my father’s shop and in my last years at school, I sold SIM cards & mobile recharges and earned good money. It was at that point I understood that there are a lot of things to try in life and it is not only about money, but living your life with full passion.
I came across computers during my degree (Bachelor of Technology); this was one of the turning points in my life. I developed a website for my college to manage the library and from that time I was attracted towards the technology and decided to work individually as a freelancer. During my degree, I also joined an institute where I trained people on web designing to earn my livelihood.
My freelancing journey started with logo designing and since then we strive for new and better opportunities which can enhance our knowledge and creativity.
I wanted to build a company where everyone works to attain their dreams; there are a lot of people from rural areas or from small towns who are full of talent but do not get many opportunities. I wanted to create a platform where they can showcase their talent & abilities and live their dreams.
Right now Dream Studios is a team of 30 and are working to fulfil our dreams. We wish to become an MNC in the coming years.
What was your previous job before deciding to go freelance?
I had worked with a company for about 8-9 months; although I enjoyed and learned a lot, it did not satisfy me much. And due to certain family issues I left.
How did you come across PPH?
While reading a blog I came across the PPH platform and created the account 3 years ago; it’s a great platform and provided a great support in my business.
What was your first job like on PPH?
I clearly remember that my first job was logo designing which was typical as we did not have a clue how to get jobs! But then the chain started with all kinds of projects and we have been completed approximately 1200 projects with mre than 1000 reviews and now we have become expert in following;
- Graphic Design
- Website Design
- Mobile and Web Application (Design & Development)
- Web Development (PHP, ASP.Net, Framework such as Laraval, Codeignator, etc.)
- All kinds of CMS development (WordPress, Joomla, Magento, Shopify, etc.)
- SEO and Digital Marketing
What is a typical day like for you?
I am still in my 20’s and do not care much about personal space. All I care is about my clients, my business and teammates.
I love to work at night and my day starts at in the afternoon. I work for around 15-16 hrs. a day. Once I am in office time is not a factor for me. We have a schedule in office such that we can give time to clients from all over the world. If any client wants to talk during our night-time we answer their calls because they are our first priority.
Free from all the chaos and getting new and innovative ideas is the reason why I choose to work at night.
How does freelancing compare to a 9-5?
As I mentioned earlier I do not like to work with boundaries – I listen to my heart and do the best. The ultimate goal is to do something that I love.
What benefits have you found by using PPH?
It has provided us with a huge platform where we met good clients and it helps us to make an ongoing relationship. I’ve recommended many of our clients to use PPH services that we do not provide. The work streams are awesome and everything is easily accessible. The workflow of PPH helps in managing multiple projects.
What does your future hold? Where would you like to take this?
I have a team of 30 people who are expert in their areas. We have made different departments of different teams like graphics, web design, mobile apps, web development, who are passionately working in their domain. I’m looking forward to growing more and more such that we can come up with new ideas and can provide a platform to the young talent in order to fulfil their dreams and become an MNC.
What are your top 5 tips for freelancers who are new to PPH?
- Be honest and give your 100% to accomplish the task. Things should be done in a planned way, if plan A is not working, be ready with the plan B.
- Communication with clients is the key to success. Try to discuss as much as and as early as possible with them and understand their needs so the result will be according to the clients.
- Respect the deadlines. Work done on time creates a positive image of the company in the client’s mind – and of course, there is also time if any corrections are needed.
- Feedback is important. Always ask clients to fill the feedback form which will not take up much of their much time but it will help you to improve.
- Innovate. This is the key to sustainability in the market. Anyone can enter but it is very difficult to continue and prosper without new ideas because there are a lot of competitors available and if you are not providing unique things, you really are nowhere.
What are your top 5 tips for web and mobile design?
- Follow the market. The client demands uniqueness, so one should be aware of the market.
- Simplify things. Things should not be complicated that it becomes impossible to be understood by anyone. Instead, it should simple and user-friendly.
- Things should be organised. If everything is in a proper manner then it will be easy for us to show it to the client so that they can understand it and give their feedback.
- Provide detailed analysis. Try to find out all the factors related to a web or a mobile design. It will help in making the things perfect.
- Try Balsamiq. It’s a GUI mockup and website wireframe builder application.
What web browser do you use?
I personally love to use Mozilla Firefox.
If you were an animal, which one would you be and why?
I would like to be a Dolphin because they are deep thinkers, have big brains and from time-to-time show their creativity.
What do you think of Vikas’ story? Please leave messages of support for Vikas in our comments box below!
If you’d like us to feature your story, please contact us at email@example.com.